logo 1

What Can I Do If My Ex-spouse Refuses To Pay Child Support?

Child support is an essential element of family law in California, designed to ensure that children receive the financial support they need, regardless of their parents' relationship status. In theory, child support is a court-ordered obligation that every noncustodial parent must fulfill. 

Unfortunately, not all ex-spouses abide by this duty willingly, which can have a significant impact on the receiving spouse and, most importantly, the well-being of the children involved. In such cases, it's crucial to understand the options available to enforce child support orders and seek the legal assistance necessary to secure the support your child deserves.

Steps to Ensure Child Support Payments

Child support orders are not optional; they are legally binding court orders. When an ex-spouse refuses to pay child support, it can be both frustrating and financially burdensome for the custodial parent. Here are some steps to consider:

  1. If your ex-spouse has missed a payment, and especially if this is the first time it’s happened, it may simply be an error of oversight. It is best to personally reach out and remind them about it at first. But if your ex-spouse cannot be contacted or located, or is adamantly refusing to pay child support, then it is best to take the appropriate legal steps.
  2. Contact the Child Support Agency: Start by reaching out to your local child support agency. They have resources and tools at their disposal to help enforce child support orders, such as income withholding, property liens, and more.
  3. File a Motion for Contempt: If the issue persists, you can file a motion for contempt with the court that issued the child support order. This motion alerts the court to the noncompliance and may result in legal consequences for the non-paying ex-spouse.

Common Enforcement Options in California

California provides various tools for enforcing child support orders, and the court takes non-payment seriously. Common enforcement options include:

  • Income Withholding: This process involves deducting child support directly from the noncustodial parent's wages or other income sources. Employers are legally required to comply with income withholding orders.
  • Driver's License Suspension: In cases of prolonged non-payment, the court can suspend the noncustodial parent's driver's license, making it more challenging for them to continue their daily activities.
  • Bank Account Levies: The court may order the freezing and seizure of funds from the non-paying parent's bank accounts.
  • Property Liens: To secure unpaid child support, the court can place liens on the noncustodial parent's property, which must be paid off before they can sell or transfer the assets.
  • Passport denial: Should your former spouse fail to meet their support payments by a specified amount, the U.S. State Department might reject their passport renewal request.
  • Earning withholding orders: An order for withholding earnings empowers the government to intercept federal and state tax refunds, alongside other payments owed to your ex-partner (for instance, lottery winnings).

Other Penalties for Non-Payment of Child Support in California

California law takes a strong stance on child support non-payment, and individuals who fail to meet their obligations may face additional penalties. Some of these may include:

  • Interest on Arrears: Unpaid child support amounts can accrue interest, increasing the total amount owed over time.
  • Contempt of Court: As mentioned earlier, the court can hold the non-paying parent in contempt, which may lead to fines, penalties, or even jail time.
  • Credit Reporting: Unpaid child support can negatively affect the noncustodial parent's credit score, making it more challenging for them to secure loans or housing.

Can I Withhold Visitation if My Ex-Spouse Doesn't Pay Child Support?

In California, it is generally not advisable to withhold visitation as a response to non-payment of child support. The right to visitation and the obligation to pay child support are considered separate legal matters. Courts emphasize the best interests of the child, and withholding visitation could result in legal consequences for the custodial parent. 

The court has various actions at its disposal if you obstruct visitation. These include:

  • Finding you in contempt of court, possibly leading to fines or imprisonment.
  • Modifying or decreasing the spousal support you are entitled to.
  • Mandating you to provide a bond as a guarantee of adherence to the visitation order.
  • Imposing a financial penalty on you in the form of the other parent's attorney fees or similar charges.
  • There is a potential risk of losing custody of your child.

It's important to address issues of child support and visitation separately through the appropriate legal channels.

Get the Strong Legal Support You Need to Ensure Child Support in California

The refusal of an ex-spouse to pay child support can have significant consequences for custodial parents and their children. If you find yourself in this challenging situation, it's essential to understand your options for enforcement and seek legal assistance to ensure your child receives the support they need and deserve. 

At Anthoor Law Group, we have the expertise and experience to help you navigate child support matters in California and protect your child's best interests. Don't hesitate to reach out for assistance – securing child support is not just a legal obligation but a vital means of providing for your child's future.

Share This Blog

Ask A Question,
Describe Your Situation,
Request A Consultation

Call (510) 794-2887 or fill out the short form below. We will usually respond within 1 business day but often do so the same day. Don’t hesitate, your questions are welcome.

Contact Form
* Required Fields
Your Information Is Safe With Us

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your questions or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Follow Us On

Questions or Schedule An Appointment? Click to Call (510) 794-2887
Questions or Schedule An Appointment? Click to Call 
(510) 794-2887


Anthoor Law Group,  
A Professional Corporation

Estate Planning

Hours of Operation

Mon-Fri: 9am – 6:30pm

Anthoor Law Group, A Professional Corporation a law firm, is conveniently located in Fremont, California. We are committed to providing each of our clients with the highest quality of legal representation possible.

join-team-icon 1

© Copyrights 2024. Anthoor Law Group, A Professional Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Green Cardigan Marketing


The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram